Here’s all the information on where and how to celebrate the 4th of July in Warren County (and nearby), including fireworks shows, events, and rules about setting off your own fireworks. Whatever you decide to do, we hope you have a safe and happy 4th!
- July 4th in Norwalk. McAninch Sports Park at dusk. Organized by Norwalk Lions Club.
- July 4th in Truro (just outside Warren County). Hill Park at Dusk. Part of Truro 4th of July Celebration.
- July 11th in New Virginia. Fireworks at 10 pm as part of the Old Settlers Celebration.
- There are also 7 other fireworks shows in the Des Moines metro! https://www.catchdesmoines.com/blog/post/fireworks/
While there are no official 4th of July parades/festivals still scheduled in Warren County, there are still a few events happening in the area. (Remember to practice safe social distancing habits and/or wear a mask when attending!)
- July 3rd in Cumming: Fridays at the Farm. 4-7 pm. Live music, food truck, farmers market vendors, wine/beer wagon, fresh organic produce, and more.
- July 4th in Truro (just outside Warren County): 4th of July Celebration. 4pm – dark. Parade, BBQ, games, fireworks.
- July 5th at Summerset Winery: Independence Day Tunes. 3-6 pm. Live music, food and drinks, games. $5.
- July 10th-12th in New Virginia: Christmas in July, Old Settlers 2020. Parade, games, food, live music, fireworks.
City Fireworks Policies – Make it a DIY 4th of July!
Each city has its own rules about fireworks. Check below for yours. If your town is not listed, contact City Hall for more information.
- Norwalk full policy. Summary: Consumer fireworks can only be shot off June 29th through July 8th between 4:00PM – 10:00PM.
- Carlisle full policy. Summary: Allows consumer fireworks to be used on private property from June 30 to July 8 between the hours of noon and 11:00 PM.
- Indianola full policy (chapter 41, page 211). Summary: Allows consumer fireworks on July 3rd from 9 am-10pm; July 4th from 9am-11pm; July 5th from 9am-10pm.
- Hartford full policy. Summary: A person shall not use or explode consumer fireworks at times other than between the hours of 6:00 P.M. and 10:00 P.M.
- Cumming full policy. Summary: No person shall use, explode, or discharge any consumer fireworks on days other than July 3 through July 5, inclusive, between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.
- Milo. Summary: 1) Consumer fireworks can be used on private property from 9AM to 10PM from June 1 through July 8. 2) Consumer fireworks can be used between 9AM and 11PM on July 4th and the Saturdays and Sundays immediately preceding and following July 4. 3) Display fireworks are only allowed by obtaining a permit. For the complete ordinance, stop by City Hall to obtain a copy or search online for Iowa Code 727.2