Hometown Pride and its partners unveiled two newly-constructed community amenities this summer, representing over $70,000 of investment into our local quality of life. The Warren County Veterans’ Memorial was dedicated in August at Warrior Run Golf Course in Norwalk, and a new playground was installed in Carlisle’s South Lindhardt Park in July.
The new playground in Carlisle was first conceived by Carlisle Hometown Pride in spring of 2018. Over the next year, Hometown Pride raised more than $30,000 to install a full playground with slides, a swing, and climbing areas. The first piece of the playground, a saucer swing, was installed in December 2018, and the rest was installed in July 2019. Contributors include:
- Carlisle Hometown Pride, which led the planning and provided around $4,000 from fundraisers (t-shirt sales, block party, etc.)
- Warren County Philanthropic Partnership (~$9,000 over 2 years)
- Hubbell Realty Company ($10,000)
- Carlisle Little League and Carlisle Girls Softball Association ($4,000)
- Carlisle Friends of the Parks committee ($4,000)
- $200 each from Greater Carlisle Community Foundation and Carlisle Chamber of Commerce Grant
- The City of Carlisle has agreed to provide on-going maintenance for the playground.
The Veterans’ Memorial is the result of about a year of work by dozens of supporting organizations and individuals from around the region. It started with the arrival of the Freedom Rock, which prompted planning to create a memorial around the rock which would honor Veterans from all branches of the armed forces. Planning and fund-raising efforts were spear-headed by Norwalk Hometown Pride, Norwalk Rotary, and Warrior Run Golf Course. Financial and in-kind contributors include:
- Norwalk Hometown Pride (Lead by our co-chair Mike Foss)
- Norwalk Iowa Rotary
- Warrior Run Golf Course
- Warren County Philanthropic Partnership
- Warren County Leadership Institute Class 2019
- City of Norwalk, Iowa – City Hall
- Warren County
- City of Cumming, IA
- Give Foundation
- Burke Golf Academy
- West Des Moines VFW
- 100 Men of Norwalk
- Diligent Development
Congratulations to all the volunteers who worked incredibly hard to make these two projects happen!!!